Batman: Death in the Family
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Batman: Death in the Family is a 2020 American animated interactive short film based on the storyline of the same name. It is a direct sequel to Batman: Under the Red Hood and was released on Blu-ray and DVD on October 13, 2020.
- [We see an Robin symbol and the camera reveals a wounded Robin as the Joker knocks him across the face with a crowbar] Wow. That looked like it really hurt. [Hits him three more times] Whoa, now, hang on. That looked like it hurt a lot more. So, let's try and clear this up, okay, pumpkin? What hurts more? A? [hits him again] Or B? [hits him again] Forehand? [hits him again] Or backhand? [hits him again, and laughs. Robin then mumbles something, and Joker leans in, imitating the noise] A little louder, lamb chop. I think you may have a collapsed lung. That always impedes the oratory. [Robin spits in his face; Joker slams his head into the ground] Now, that was rude! The first Boy Blunder had some manners. [Robin grins at him as Joker wipes the blood away] I suppose I'm going to have to teach you a lesson so you can better follow in his footsteps. [pause] Nah. I'm just gonna keep beating you with this crowbar. [Joker laughs as he continues beating Robin]
- [after finishing beating Robin] Okay, kiddo, I gotta go. It's been fun, though, right? [silence from Robin] Well, maybe a smidge more fun for me than you. I'm just guessing since you're being awful quiet. Anyway, be a good boy, finish your homework, and be in bed by nine. And, hey, please tell the big man I said… "hello". [laughs hysterically]
Batman Saves Robin
Kill the Joker
- Famale reporter on TV: GCPD's Commissioner, Jim Gordon, credits the Batman with exposing a meta-human trafficking network allegedly tied to Stagg Industries. Tune in tonight at 11:00 for more updates on Gotham's caped crusader.
- Man: If you'd fought alongside him, you'd know that's not Batman. It's probably Nightwing filling in for Bats.
- Jason: And you, uh, just happen to know Batman, huh?
- Man: Mmm. Knew him. He's gone now. The old Boy Wonder knows to keep the Bat legend flying. Or else Gotham would explode with crime.
- Jason: Interesting theory. You said you fought alongside him?
- Man: Oh, I'm a new man now. Got a new life. Starting over fresh. At least that's what I write in my journal. My therapist says that'll help. Eventually.
- Jason: Talking things out helps too, friend. As it turns out, I happen to be a good listener.
- Man: Yeah, sure thing. You know, this reminds me of a joke I told Bats once. You wanna hear it? See, there were these two guys in the lunatic asylum, and one night, they decide they don't like living in an asylum anymore. They decide they're going to escape. So, like, they get up onto the roof, [Jason remembers this joke] and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight, stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But, his friend didn't dare make the leap. You see… You see, he's afraid of falling. [Jason remembers the Joker beat him] So then, the first guy has an idea. He says, "Hey! I have my flashlight with me. I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me." But the second guy just shakes his head. He says, "What do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was halfway across."
- Waitress: Meh!
- Man: [sighs] Crickets! It's just not the same joke without Batman here.
- Jason: Well, next time I see him, I'll tell the big man you said hello.
- Man: [remembers Jason] Boy Wonder.
- [Jason takes a knife and sticks it in the Joker's eye. He falls and laughs. Human makeup drips from his face.]
Catch the Joker
- [Jason hits Joker with a crowbar]
- Jason: Sorry. Was that rude? I never did learn those manners. [takes off the hood]
- Joker: Huh? [remembers him] One… bad… day. [laughs] Oh! Kid! You have done your papa proud.
- Jason: Batman? Doubt he would agree.
- Joker: Not that papa. This one. Look at you. Gave up the gimmicks he gave you, and now you're the spitting image of me.
- Jason: I took your gimmicks to draw you out and take you down for what you did to me and to him!
- Joker: Oh! Losing Batsy got me, too. Right in the ticker. Thought about hanging at all up until you rode into town. The timing, the irony. I knew there was a joke under that hood, but I never saw this punchline coming. Who knew you were a natural-born killer just like me?
- Jason: I'm not like you. I don't kill!
- Joker: Don't be modest. I admire your work. Your entrance on the scene was one for the books, baby. You co-opted the head of every crime syndicate in Gotham by beheading their lieutenants! [laughs] Delightful! A+ material. And the way you punched holes in Ghotham's illegal trade lines? [gunshot] By blasting holes through the traders! Hilarious! Two thumbs up. Oh! And the piece de resistance. Black Mask. [laughs] Boy, did you find a way to cut him out. [laughs] So good! You get all the points.
- Jason: No. I-I didn't. I couldn't. I-I promised Batman.
- Joker: [stammers] Batman? [gasps] Wait a second. You actually don't remember. You've been repressing all of it! [laughs]
- [whispering "Kill them all. Kill them all. Kill them all."]
- Joker: That's the best joke I ever heard! This isn't Batman. This isn't your inner demons. This is you. The deep down inside you. That day in Bosnia was your birthday. I got you your crowbar, a little song, a little dance, a little dynamite in your pants, and you were reborn! Hallelujah! Without your papa Joker there to slap you on the ass, without the Dark Knight going nighty night forever, you wouldn't be the fine, upstanding, eyes open, gun-toting psychopatic survior you are today! So, admit it, son… Who's your daddy?
- [whispering "Kill the Joker"]