Batman & Robin (film)
Batman & Robin is a 1997 film and the fourth installment in the comic book-inspired film series initiated by Tim Burton. It starred George Clooney in his only appearance as Batman and Chris O'Donnell returning as Robin. It also introduced Batgirl (Alicia Silverstone), a niece of Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred (Michael Gough).
Batman / Bruce Wayne
- Vengeance isn't true power. Anyone can take a life. Giving life is true power, the power you once had.
- Hey Freeze, the heat is on!!
- Why are all the beautiful ones homicidal maniacs? Is it me?
- There is no defeat in death, Master Bruce. Victory comes in defending what we know is right while we still live.
- I'll cancel the pizzas!
- We're going to need a bigger cave.
Poison Ivy / Dr. Pamela Isley
- As I told Lady Freeze when I pulled her plug, "This is a one woman show".
- There's something about an anatomically correct rubber suit that puts fire in a girl's lips.
- It took God seven days to create paradise. Let's see if I can do better.
- Men, the most absurd of God's creatures. We give you life... and we can take it away just as easily.
- Sorry, my vines have a crush on you!
- I'm a lover not a fighter, which is why every Poison Ivy action figure comes with him! [gestures to Bane]
- I am Nature's arm. Her spirit. Her will. Hell, I am Mother Nature, and the time has come for plants to take back the world so rightfully ours! 'cause it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.
Mr. Freeze / Dr. Victor Fries
- Freeze in hell, Batman!
- Let's kick some ice!
- Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well, for it is the chilling sound of your doom!
- What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!
- Alright everyone! Chill.
- In this universe, there is only one absolute: Everything freezes.
- No matter what they tell you, Mr. Bane, it is the size of your gun that counts.
- You're not sending me to the cooler!
- If revenge is a dish best served cold, then put on your Sunday finest. It's time to feast!
- Robin: I want a car. Chicks dig the car.
- Batman: This is why Superman works alone.
- Robin: I could have made that jump!
- Batman: And you could have splattered your brains all over the side of the building.
- Robin: You know, in the circus, the Flying Graysons were a team. We had to trust each person to do their jobs. That's what being partners is all about. Sometimes, counting on someone else is the only way you win.
- Batman: Your head wasn't even on the job. All you could think about was Poison Ivy.
- Robin: You just can't stand it! Maybe she wanted me instead of you. I mean, this is your idea of friendship, isn't it, Bruce? It's your house, it's your rules, it's your way to the highway! It's Batman and Robin, not Robin and Batman, and I'm sick of it!
- Batman: Yes, it's my rules. My rules to keep us alive, and if you want to stay in this house, and on this team, you will abide by them!
- Robin: This is no partnership. You're never gonna trust me!
- Bruce Wayne: [about Robin] Well, he's over-eager. He's impulsive. I can't trust him not to get hurt.
- Alfred Pennyworth: Perhaps the truth is you really don't trust anyone.
- Bruce Wayne: Oh, don't tell me you're on his side, again.
- Alfred Pennyworth: Despite all your talents, you are still a novice in the ways of family. Master Dick follows the same star as you but gets there by his own course. You must learn to trust him, for that is the nature of family.
- Bruce Wayne: I trust you, Alfred.
- Alfred Pennyworth: But I shan't be here forever.
- Poison Ivy: There's just something about an anatomically correct rubber suit that puts fire in a girl's lips.
- Batman: Why is it that all the beautiful ones are homicidal maniacs? Is it me?
- [Alfred misses the doorbell]
- Alfred Pennyworth: I must have dozed off. My sincerest apologies.
- Bruce Wayne: Oh, there's no apology necessary, Alfred. It's the first time it's happened in 30 years.
- Poison Ivy: Enough monkey business. We've got work to do.
- Bane: Monkey work.
- Bruce Wayne: Alfred, am I pig headed? Is it always my way or the highway?
- Alfred Pennyworth: Yes, actually. Death and chance stole your parents. But rather than become a victim, you have done everything in your power to control the fates. For what is Batman if not an effort to master the chaos that sweeps our world? An attempt to control death, itself?
- Bruce Wayne: But I can't, can I?
- Alfred Pennyworth: None of us can.
- Robin: I can't believe we were fighting over a bad guy!
- Batman: Bad? Yes. Guy? No.
- Robin: Well I'm totally over her, alright? Positively!
- Batman: Me too! Definitely! [pause] Great stems, though...
- Robin: Buds, too.
- Batman: Yeah, those were nice...
- [Batgirl disables Mr. Freeze's freeze-ray]
- Robin: You're pretty good at this, little girl.
- Batgirl: Well, watch and learn, little boy.
- [Poison Ivy has been defeated and imprisoned in Arkham Asylum; dazed, she plucks at a flower]
- Poison Ivy: He loves me. He loves me not. He loves me. He loves me...
- [Mr. Freeze appears in the cell]
- Mr. Freeze: NOT! Surprise, I am your new cell mate. And I'm here to make your life a living hell. Prepare for a bitter harvest. Winter has come at last.
- I just thought the last one had been successful, so I thought I was just going to be in a big, successful franchise movie. [And] in a weird way I was. Batman is still the biggest break I ever had and it completely changed my career, even if it was weak and I was weak in it. It was a difficult film to be good in. I don’t know what I could have done differently. But if I am going to be Batman in the film Batman & Robin, I can’t say it didn’t work and then not take some of the blame for that.
- George Clooney "George Clooney Calls ‘Batman & Robin’ a ‘Difficult Film to Be Good In" by Ben Moore, Screen Rant, 09.30.2011.
- I was in a rubber suit. I had rubber nipples. I could have played him straight but I didn’t. I made him gay.
- George Clooney Cloony claims his Batman was gay Barbara Walters interviews other people, "Jen Yamato", Rotten Tomatoes, March 1 2006.