Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century is a 1952 Merrie Melodies color cartoon from Warner Bros., first released on July 25, 1953, that stars Daffy Duck as space hero Duck Dodgers, Porky Pig as his assistant, and Marvin the Martian as his opponent. This cartoon marked the first of many appearances of the Duck Dodgers character.
This cartoon was featured in The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie.
- Oops! Had the silly thing in reverse!
- Well, I guess he's had enough. I'll send him an ultimatum. [He produces a pistol marked "Acme Ultimatum Dispatcher", which fires a bullet into Marvin's Maggot-class spacecraft. The bullet screeches to a halt in front of Marvin, then opens up and rolls out a sign which reads "Surrender or be blown into 17,670,002 micro-cells". Marvin produces a pistol marked "A-1 Ultimatum Answerer", which fires a bullet into Dodgers' spacecraft. This bullet, upon screeching to a halt in front of Dodgers, opens up and catches our hero in the face with a shotgun-blast. Dodgers then fires another ultimatum-bullet into Marvin's Maggot; this one opens up and rolls out a sign which reads "OUCH!"]
- Duck Dodgers: And now then, eager young space cadet, here is the course we shall pursue to find Planet X. Starting from where we are, we go 33,600 turbo miles due up. Then west in an Astro-arc deviation to here, then following the great circle seven radio lubes south by DownEast. By astrolatries to here, here, and here, then by space Navigo-compass to here, here, and then to here and here. By thirteen-point strata-cumulus bearing four million light-years, and thus to our destination. Now do you know how to reach Planet X?
- Porky Pig: Y-y-ye... Oh sure.
- Duck Dodgers: [Staring stunned at the cadet, then at the chart's ridiculously complex path] Well, I wish you'd explain it to me some time, buster!
- Porky Pig: Why, it's very simple, sir. [Points to progression of lettered planets] If we follow those planets, we can't very well miss Planet X.
- Duck Dodgers: [laughing] Oh, that's ridiculous! Of all the stupid suggestions! Ha! Hey, wait a minute. I think I've got it. I'll just bet that if we follow those planets, we'll find Planet X. Gad! How do I do it?
- Porky Pig: I d-d-don't know.
- Duck Dodgers: [plants his flag] I claim this planet in the name of the Earth!
- [the Martian Maggot lands. Marvin the Martian leaves his ship and plants a Martian flag.]
- Marvin the Martian: I claim this planet in the name of Mars! Isn't that lovely?
- Duck Dodgers: Look, bud, I've got news for you. I have already claimed this bit of dirt for the Earth, and there just isn't room enough on this planet for the two of us.
- Marvin the Martian: I do believe you are right. [pulls his disintegrating pistol]
- Duck Dodgers: Heh! Little does he realize that I have on my disintegration-proof vest. You may fire when ready, Gridley.
- [Marvin fires; Dodger is reduced to dust, but the vest is intact. Porky immediately runs out and re-atomizes Dodgers with a Re-Integrating Pistol]
- Duck Dodgers: What-where-who-how- Oh, you, huh? Just when I had him going, you had to butt in! Well, get back in that spaceship!
- Porky Pig: Eh, y-y-yes, sir, Your Hero ship, sir. [heads back to the ship.]
- Duck Dodgers: [runs back to Marvin with his own disintegrating pistol] Ha-ha, got the drop on you with MY disintegrating pistol! And, brother, when it disintegrates, it disintegrates! [pulls the trigger, whereupon the pistol itself disintegrates.]
- Duck Dodgers: Heh, well, what do you know? It disintegrated. [Marvin fires, but Dodgers gets out of the way in time and runs into the ship. Porky opens the door and gives Marvin a lit stick of dynamite]
- Porky Pig: Happy b-b-birthday you think from another world you. [Porky closes the door]
- Marvin the Martian: Oh, thank you. [the dynamite explodes, leaving only Marvin's helmet. Looking angry, he glares at the closed door, and still in his helmet, goes back to the Martian Maggot]
Mel Blanc - Duck Dodgers (Daffy Duck) / Porky Pig / Marvin the Martian
- 1952 films
- American animated short films
- Traditionally animated short films
- Children's animated science fantasy short films
- Children's animated space adventure short films
- Daffy Duck cartoons
- Porky Pig cartoons
- Animated films about extraterrestrial life
- Mars in film
- Marvin the Martian cartoons
- Films set on fictional planets