Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century
Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century is a 1952 Merrie Melodies color cartoon from Warner Bros., first released on July 25, 1953, that stars Daffy Duck as space hero Duck Dodgers, Porky Pig as his assistant, and Marvin the Martian as his opponent. This cartoon marked the first of many appearances of the Duck Dodgers character.
This cartoon was featured in The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie.
- Oops! Had the silly thing in reverse!
- Duck Dodgers: And now then, eager young space cadet, here is the course we shall pursue to find Planet X. Starting from where we are, we go 33,600 turbo miles due up. Then west in an astro-arc deviation to here, then following the great circle seven radiolubes south by downeast. By astro-astroble to here, here, and here, then by space navigo-compass to here, here, and then to here and here. By thirteen point strato-cumulus bearing four million light-years, and thus to our destination. Now do you know how to reach Planet X?
- Porky Pig: Y-y-ye... Oh sure.
- Duck Dodgers: [Staring stunned at the cadet, then at the chart's ridiculously complex path] Well, I wish you'd explain it to me some time, buster!
- Porky Pig: Why, it's very simple, sir. [Points to progression of lettered planets] If we follow those planets, we can't very well miss Planet X.
- Duck Dodgers: [laughing] Oh, that's ridiculous! Of all the stupid suggestions! Ha ha ha! Hey, wait a minute. I think I've got it. I'll just bet that if we follow those planets, we'll find Planet X. Gad! How do I do it?
- Porky Pig: I d-d-don't know.
- Duck Dodgers: [plants his flag] I claim this planet in the name of the Earth!
- [the Martian Maggot lands. Marvin the Martian leaves his ship and plants a Martian flag.]
- Marvin the Martian: I claim this planet in the name of Mars! Isn't that lovely?
- Duck Dodgers: Look, bud, I've got news for you. I have already claimed this bit of dirt for the Earth, and there just ain't room enough on this planet for the two of us.
- Marvin the Martian: I do believe you are right. [pulls his disintegrating pistol]
- Duck Dodgers: Heh! Little does he realize that I have on my disintegration-proof vest. You may fire when ready, Gridley.
- [Martin fires; Dodger is reduced to dust, but the vest is intact. Porky immediately runs out and re-atomizes Dodgers with a Re-Integrating Pistol]
- Duck Dodgers: What-where-who-how- Oh, you, huh? Just when I had him going, you had to butt in! Well, get back in that spaceship!
- Porky Pig: Eh, y-y-yes, sir, Your Heroship, sir. [heads back to the ship.]
- Duck Dodgers: [runs back to Marvin with his own disintegrating pistol] Ha-ha, got the drop on you with MY disintegrating pistol! And, brother, when it disintegrates, it disintegrates! [pulls the trigger, whereupon the pistol itself disintegrates.]
- Duck Dodgers: Heh, well, what do you know? It disintegrated. [Marvin fires, but Dodgers gets out of the way in time and runs into the ship. Porky opens the door and gives Marvin a lit stick of dynamite]
- Porky Pig: Happy b-b-birthday you thing from another world you. [Porky closes the door]
- Marvin the Martian: Oh, thank you. [the dynamite explodes, leaving only Marvin's helmet. Looking angry, he glares at the closed door, and still in his helmet, goes back to the Martian Maggot]