This is a list of episodes in Pokémon: Indigo League, the first season of the Pokémon animated series (ポケットモンスター Poketto Monsutā?, Pocket Monsters), covering the adventures of the series protagonist Ash Ketchum and his friends Pikachu, Misty, and Brock on the way to the Indigo Plateau.
Pokémon: I Choose You!
- Ash: Hey! Get outta there!
- [Rattata runs away from his backpack]
- Pokédex: The Forest Pokémon: Rattata. It likes cheese, nuts, fruits, and berries.
- Ash: Yeah, but this isn't a forest. It's an open field.
- Pokédex: It also comes out in open fields to steal food from stupid travelers.
- Ash: So does that mean I'm stupid?
- Officer Jenny: I left my motorcycle parked at the front desk!
- Nurse Joy: Next time, use the driveway.
- Professor Oak: When my grandson Gary said that you wouldn't have a single new Pokémon by the time you got to Viridian City, I bet him $1,000,000 that he'd be wrong!
- Ash: [surprised] Well, money isn't everything, right?
- Professor Oak: [dejected] Oh, why do I even bother?
- [Misty confronts Ash at the Pokémon Center with her burnt bicycle]
- Misty: I knew I'd find you here!
- Ash: [seeing that her bike is destroyed] Hey, what happened to your bike?!
- Misty: What happened to my bike?! You happened to my bike, you little loser! This is what's left after you stole it to save your Pokémon!
- Misty: You grab Pikachu and get out of here! I'll take care of these three clowns.
- Jessie: That's pretty big talk coming from such a little lady.
- Misty: At least you're right about the pretty part, thanks for the compliment.
- James: The girl thinks she's pretty.
- Jessie: I agree with her. I think she's pretty, too. Pretty pathetic!
- Misty: Hmmmm, I'll show you! Poké Ball, go!
- [Goldeen comes out rolling and jumping on the floor, to Jessie and James' shock]
- Misty: Goldeen, return.
- Jessie: That's her best shot?
- James: She's all washed up.
- Officer Jenny: Too late, but not for the fireworks!
- Meowth: That Pikachu is no ordinary Pikachu.
- James: It's certainly rare. A perfect prize.
- Jessie: Let's catch it.
- Meowth: Perhaps, we will.
Ash Catches a Pokémon
- Ash: [hugging his Poké-Ball] I love my new little Pokémon!
- Misty: I guess it takes a worm to love a worm.
- Ash: [sarcastically] Very funny.
- Misty: [about Caterpie] It's so gross. [scared] Ash, put that slimy thing back in the Poké-Ball! Bugs are one of the three most disgusting things in the world!
- Ash: Aside from you, what are the other disgusting things?
- Misty: Very funny. Carrots, peppers, and bugs. Everybody has something they don't like and I don't like bugs!
- Ash: Well, yeah, I like carrots, and peppers, and bugs. What I don't like is the way you're hurting Caterpie's feelings with your silly fear of bugs.
- Misty: [dismissively] Hmph!
Challenge of the Samurai
- [Misty screams]
- Ash: What's wrong now?
- Misty: I saw another bug. Gross!
- [Pikachu and Ash sigh]
- Ash: Maybe its a cow-derpie!
- James: Do you have any more bright ideas?
- Jessie: Well, unlike you at least I have ideas!
- Meowth: Yeah, and they're all bad.
- Jessie: WHO ASKED YOU?!
Showdown in Pewter City
- Ash: My conscience is holding me back! I can't bring myself to beat Brock! I'm imagining his little brothers and sisters stopping me from beating the one person they love!
- Misty: Uh, Ash, I think you better you open your eyes!
Clefairy and the Moon Stone
- Jessie: Well, it looks like Team Rocket is....
- James: Blasting off again!
- Meowth: That was the Metronome!
- Jessie: I give it two thumbs down!
- James: Me too!
- Meowth: Meowth three!
The Water Flowers of Cerulean City
- James: The coast is clear.
- Jessie: Nothing to fear.
- Meowth: Nobody here!
- Misty: Oh no! Staryu looks like it's in real pain!
- Ash: It doesn't even have a face. How can you tell?
- Misty: Because I'm sensitive to other's feelings! That's how!
- Ash: [sarcastically] Oh, yeah? Like I'm not?
- Ash: Misty, you're not gonna be a sore loser, aren't you?
- Misty: I didn't lose anything! It was just a draw!
- Ash: Well, I'm the one who won the badge!
- Misty: What?! You know you battled with Butterfree!
- Ash: That is just round one! I've made a great comeback!
- Misty: If Team Rocket hadn't busted in, I would've destroyed you!
- Ash: You're lucky they've showed up. You were about to lose!
- Misty: Lose?! I was just getting started!
- Ash: Oh, yeah?
- Misty: Oh, yeah!
- Brock: Oh, brother.
The School of Hard Knocks
- Misty: All that crunching is ruining my romantic daydreams!
Charmander - The Stray Pokémon
- Misty: I just can't go one step further. We've been looking for Vermilion City for 10 whole days!
Here Comes the Squirtle Squad
- Misty: It's Meowth!
- Ash: Meowth?!
Electric Shock Showdown
- Ash: Use the strategy we planned, Pikachu! You can do it!
- Surge: A strategy? So they've planned a new way to lose!
Battle Aboard the St. Anne
- James: Wait! There goes my next paycheck!
- Jessie: Who cares about your paycheck? What about mine?!
- Meowth: We gotta get out of here!
- Captain: May I have your attention? Anyone who didn't leave the ship safely, please say "Aye." Good. Well done. Everyone's safe then.
- James: Jessica?
- Jessie: Yes, James?
- James: Whoever said beauty doesn't last must've been thinking of us!
- Jessie: I'll always remember what a wonderful dresser you were!
- James: So will I!
- Jessie: Dimwit! If you're the master, don't act like you're scared of it!
- James: I am scared!
- Misty: Now you've done it! Magikarp has evolved into a Gyarados!
Island of the Giant Pokémon
- Squirtle: Maybe they got eaten by wild Pokémon. [makes a scary face with razor-sharp teeth, making a chomping motion]
- Pikachu: Don't say things like that!
- Charmander: Yeah, cut it out!
- Squirtle: Sorry.
- [after a giant Venusaur is spotted]
- Squirtle: [to Bulbasaur] You go and speak to it, you guys are like family!
- Bulbasaur: No way. I have no family. Consider me an orphan.
- Charmander: Good point.
- Squirtle: Coward.
- Giovanni: What?! Pokemon Land has been totally destroyed?! [growls] I spent millions on that place!
Beauty and the Beach
- Prof. Oak: Your mother's been worried about you, Ash. She says she still thinks of you as her little pumpkin.
- Ash: That makes me sound like a baby.
- Delia: You'll always be my baby, won't you?
- Ash: Yeah.
- Delia: Well, I just hope you aren't eating a lot of junk food and getting into any trouble.
- Ash: Of course not!
- [he suddenly remembers his boat accident]
- Ash: At least not a lotta trouble.
- Delia: What's that mean?
- Moe: I'm the one who got into trouble, Mrs. Ketchum. Ash helped out at my restaurant when I really needed help. But even more importantly, your son has been a great inspiration to me.
- Delia: That's wonderful! What a relief.
- Ash: Thanks, Moe.
The Ghost of Maiden's Peak
- Misty: Then how about this!
- Gastly: What's that?
- Misty: It's a cross! I've also got garlic, a stake, and a hammer!
- Gastly: ...What do I look like, a vampire or something?
The Tower of Terror
- Misty: You must be crazy!
- Brock: Don't ever do that!
Haunter vs Kadabra
- James: With a flick of this fishing net, we'll round up Pikachu.
- Meowth: You mean that's your secret weapon?!
- James: It takes a genius to realize a fishing net is the perfect weapon!
- Jessie: Oh, James, it's the greatest discovery since Einstein invented the light bulb!
- Jessie and James: [sing and dance] Even greater than the chicken who invented the egg!
- [the egg falls on them]
- James: All of us true geniuses know, of course, that it was actually the egg that preceded the chicken.
- Jessie: Of course. I knew that. I had just forgotten.
- Meowth: Now you got my brain scrambled! Let's cut the egg-splanations and capture Pikachu!
- Jessie: Hello, up there! Anyone!! We're trapped down here!!!
- James: Stop pouring cement!
- Meowth: Get me out of here!
- Jessie: A little cement....
- James: Will never stop Team Rocket.
- Meowth: A little cement....
Primeape Goes Bananas
- Professor Oak: I can't write a good poem without rhymes, and you can't be a good Pokémon trainer without catching more Pokémon.
Pokémon Fashion Flash
- Narrator: So long, Salon Roquet!
The Punchy Pokémon
- Meowth: Honey baked ham! Roast leg of lamb!! Strawberry jam!!!
- James: Sirloin steaks! Chocolate cakes!!
- Jessie: Can't you numbskulls think of anything but food?!
Sparks Fly For Magnemite
- Ash: Gee, that Magnemite is following Pikachu around like some sort of streaker.
- Brock: Um, Ash, you mean 'stalker'.
Dig Those Diglett
- James: Some principle of induced evolution.
- Jessie: [reads a manual] It says here that Pokémon need to accumulate a certain amount of experience points before they can successfully evolve.
- James: [depressed] Our experience is nothing but losing.
The Ninja Poké-Showdown
- Aya: Born in darkness, living in darkness, such is the fate of the ninja. I am Aya, ninja warrior!
- Misty: [about Aya's uniform color] But don't you think that color is a little bright for a ninja?
- Aya: I don't need your fashion report!
The Flame Pokémon-athon!
- Dario: [growls] You're the reason I didn't win the Pokémon challenge! Team Rocket's the worst!!
- Jessie: We'll just have to plan better next year.
- James: And maybe you can get some nicer riding clothes.
- Meowth: And give that smelly bird a bath.
The Bridge Bike Gang
[Ash, Misty and Brock finds out Jessie and James used to belong to a bike gang]
- James: I guess our secret past is not a secret anymore.
- Ash: I kind of wish it still was!
Ditto's Mysterious Mansion
- James: Will you stop it, Meowth?!
- Jessie: The only way we can get out of this mess is to dress you up like a Dratini and present you to the boss.
- Meowth: Pea-brains! This won't work!!
- Meowth: It's a Pika-Palooza!
- Jessie: We're at the Pika of our powers.
- James: Chu can say that again, Jess!
The Battling Eevee Brothers
- Misty: Stop that!
- Jessie: Well, it's back to eating lunch for losers.
- James: Victory tasted a lot better.
Showdown at Dark City
- Jessie: Well, that was a complete waste of time.
- James: Looks like we're through.
- Meowth: [notices Electabuzz and Scyther charging at them] Huh? Unfortunately, we're not quite through yet.
- Jessie and James: Huh?
- Scyther: Scyther!
- Electabuzz: Blblblblblblbl!
- Team Rocket: AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
- James: Somebody....
- Team Rocket: HELP!!!!
The Problem with Paras
- Jessie: Well, there goes our billions.
- James: And zillions.
- Meowth: I'm a hero, but I got zero!
Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon
- [Gary is digging for fossils and stumbles upon one]
- Gary: Success! My first Pokémon fossil!
- Fan Girls: Yay! Gary, Gary, he's the best! Found a fossil before the rest! Go, Gary!
- [an expert comes over, takes the fossil out of Gary's hands and examines it]
- Gary: Impressive, isn't it? Found it on my first try. Looks like a brain from an extinct Pokémon.
- Expert: This is-
- Gary: [hopeful] A brain?
- Expert: It's fossilized Pokémon manure. [Gary collapses in shock]
- Fan Girls: Ewwwwww. Yuck! Gross!
- Brock: I can't believe James is gone!
- Ash: I miss him!
- Misty: Grrrr... JAMES IS STANDING RIGHT HERE!
- Ash: WOAH! Look at that!
- Misty: It's huge!
- Brock: I've seen shopping malls smaller than this place!
- Misty: It must have a hundred rooms!
- Ash: It's the biggest mansion I've ever seen!
- Hopkins (the butler at James' family's mansion): This is not the mansion! This little dog house is for Growlie.
- Meowth: [sighs] I guess all of that money and luxury was just too tempting for James to give up.
Princess vs. Princess
- Meowth: Jessie....
- James: Since you didn't win the real doll set....
- Jessie: W-what are you....? Oh, no. You're all just a bunch of living dolls!
The Ultimate Test
- Narrator: There seems to be a little mix-up!
The Breeding Center Secret
- Jessie: James! Watch where you're throwing that dirt!
- James: Watch?! I can't see the foot in front of my face!
- Meowth: If you don't quit squawkin', you'll see the foot in front of your face! Mine!!!!
The Battle of the Badge
- Gary: It's here....
- Ash: What's here?
- Gary: A Pokémon that we've never seen did this.
Showdown at the Poké Corral
- Ash: Hey! Cut it out!!
- Meowth: And now, all we have to do is wait for the next Humunga-Dunga. How long could that be? What? A couple of days? A week. Tops. Right? Right?!
Make Room for Gloom
- Ash: Uh, Brock, are you talking to somebody?
- Misty: I think maybe you had a little to much of that antidote.
- Brock: Rejected by the one girl I loved! I'll never find another like her again!!
- Ash: Uh, don't worry, Brock. You'll find plenty of other girls that won't reject you.
- Misty: Hey, Ash! You didn't do any training. The Pokémon League competition is less than two months away. When are you gonna get ready?
- Ash: Don't worry, Misty. There's always tomorrow.
- Misty: Oh!
- Narrator: Don't be so sure, Ash. You're already one tomorrow closer to the battle of your life!
Lights, Camera, Quack-tion!
- Jessie: Meowth, will you stop moving around?
- Meowth: I've got to breathe, don't I? Talk about a cliffhanger!
- Jessie: Prepare for trouble!
- James: With no stunt double!
Go West, Young Meowth
- Ash: That's scary.
- Brock: Looks like our movie career is over.
- Misty: Even before it got started.
To Master the Onixpected
- [Ash and the gang catch Team Rocket disguised as polecats]
- Jessie: Prepare for trouble, whippersnapper!
- James: And make it double, young feller!
- Meowth: I think we can fast forward through this.
- [he presses the fast-forward button on his remote, and everything speeds up]
- Jessie: [in hyperspeed] To protect the world from devastation!
- James: [also in hyperspeed] To unite all people within our nation!
- Jessie: To denounce the evils of truth and love!
- James: To extend our reach to the stars above!
- Jessie: JESSIE!
- James: JAMES!
- Jessie: Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light!
- James: Surrender now or prepare to fight!
- Meowth: [also in hyperspeed] Okay!
- [he presses the play button, and everything returns to normal speed]
- Meowth: [normal speed] Meowth, that's right!
- Jessie: [also in normal speed; worn out] Exhausting.
- James: [also in normal speed; worn out] I think I bit my tongue!
- Jessie: I think things are looking sort of rocky, don't you?
- James: These Pokémon couldn't be boulder!
- Meowth: Maybe people take them for granite!
The Ancient Puzzle of Pokémopolis
- Ash: Where's that Jiggly-giant?
Bad to the Bone!
- Professor Oak: It's too late for pointers, young man! If you're not ready for the Pokémon League now, you should quit and go home!!
All Fired Up!
- Jessie: I think our plan....
- James: Backfired!
- Narrator: Will he be out of the league? Who knows? He's got to be in it to win it.
Round One: Begin!
- Mandi: But I'm Mandi the Astounding. How could I lose?
Fire And Ice
- Waitress: Do you want a plate?
- Ash: Yeah, but only if it's a collection plate!
The Fourth Round Rumble
- Jeanette: [to Bellsprout] Make Bulba-sore! [laughs]
A Friend in Deed
- Jessie: I just don't understand it.
- James: How can we feel so low....
- Meowth: When we're up so high?
- Jessie: 100 Pokémon in a bag, 100 Pokémon....
- James: If all of those Pokémon go free....
- Meowth: Ain't no Pokémon for me.
Friends to the End
- [at the beginning of the episode, Ash is moping around, annoyed about how his Charizard cost him the match at the Indigo Plateau...]
- Ash: (thinking) Why did I have to lose?
- Pikachu: (worried) Pika-pi.
- Professor Oak: So, he's been laying in there by himself since he lost the match?
- Brock: Yeah, he won't even eat or anything.
- Delia: Maybe he's coming down with a cold.
- Brock: No, he's just depressed.
- Professor Oak: Depressed about what?!
- Delia: About the match?!
- Brock: (nods his head 'yes') Mmh. I think that he feels like a total loser 'cause Ritchie beat him.
- Misty: He should be happy he made it all the way to the 5th round. I know he feels bad, but he can't just mope around forever. (opens the door and walks into the room to get Ash) Hey, Ash, let's go get something to eat.
- Ash: No thanks.
- Misty: (groans) Well, how about a walk?
- Ash: Go by yourself.
- Misty: (groans in frustration) Hey, let's go down the Pokemon village and buy some souvenirs. (tries to get Ash up from the bed) Maybe they'll have some--
- Ash: (pulls away) Leave me alone!
- Misty: Hey, I'm just trying to help you, Ash!
- Ash: (sits up) Well, I don't want your help!
- Misty: You big baby!
- Ash: (stands up from the bed) Just get out!
- Pikachu: (tries to calm them down) Pika-pika!
- (Brock and Delia run in)
- Brock: Alright now, that's enough!
- Delia: You mustn't be angry with Misty, dear. She thinks you should be very happy.
- Ash: Why?
- Misty: With the way you were training, you're lucky we even made it through the 1st round.
- Ash: Oh, yeah?! Well, I didn't see you out there winning any of those matches!
- Misty: When are you gonna get over yourself, Ash?!
- Ash: Why don't you?!
- Misty: Why don't I what?!
- Pikachu: (tries to calm them down) Pika...
- Brock: (restrains Ash) Okay, that's it!
- Pikachu: Pika...
- Professor Oak: (walks in) I'm afraid Misty has a point, Ash.
- Ash: Huh?
- Professor Oak: Maybe you could've gone much further if you haven't been so sure of yourself and you trained your Charizard properly.
- Ash: But I...
- Professor Oak: One thing can advance so far with strength and intuition.
- Misty: I said I didn't, and I didn't!
- Ash: I said you did, because you did!
- Misty: I didn't!
- Ash: You did!
- Misty: Did not!
- Ash: Did too!
- Misty: Did not!
- Ash: You did too!
- Narrator: Ash battled bravely in his first Pokémon League competition, and although he lost one crucial match, our young hero won a life-long friend. Now, he's more determined than ever to achieve his dreams of becoming a Pokémon master.