Joker (2019 film)
Joker is a 2019 American psychological thriller film. The film, based on DC Comics characters, stars Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. An origin story set in 1981, the film follows Arthur Fleck, a failed stand-up comedian who turns to a life of crime and chaos in Gotham City.
Arthur Fleck / Joker
- [written in notebook] The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't.
- [written in notebook] I just hope my death makes more cents [sic] than my life.
- I used to think that my life was a tragedy...but now I realize...it's a fucking comedy.
- You don't listen, do you? You just ask the same questions every week. "How's your job?" "Are you having any bruh moments?" All I have are bruh moments.
- Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?
- [to Thomas Wayne] I know it seems strange, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, I don't know why everyone is so rude, I don't know why you are; I don't want anything from you. Maybe a little warmth, maybe a hug, dad, maybe a bit of common decency!
- I had a bad day.
- For my whole life, I didn’t know if I even really existed. But I do. And people are starting to notice.
- Murray Franklin: Okay, I- I think I might understand it. You... did this to start a movement? To become a-a symbol?
- Joker: Come on, Murray. Do I look like the kind of clown that could start a movement? I killed those guys because they were awful. Everybody is awful these days. It's enough to make anyone crazy.
- Murray: Okay. So that's it, you're crazy. That's your defence for killing three young men?
- Joker: No. They couldn't carry a tune to save their lives.
- [The crowd boos and jeers]
- Joker: Oh, why is everybody so upset about these guys?! If it was me dying on the side-walk, you'd walk right over me! I pass you every day, and you don't notice me! But these guys — what, because Thomas Wayne went and cried about them on TV?!
- Franklin: You have a problem with Thomas Wayne, too?
- Joker: Yes, I do. Have you seen what it's like out there, Murray? Do you ever actually leave the studio? Everybody just yells and screams at each other. Nobody's civil any more! Nobody thinks what it's like to be the other guy. You think men like Thomas Wayne ever think what it's like to be someone like me? To be somebody but themselves? They don't. They think we'll all just sit there and take it like good little boys! That we won't werewolf and go wild!
- Franklin: You finished? So much self-pity, Arthur. You sound like you're making excuses for killing those three young men. Y'know, not everybody — and I'll tell you this, not everyone is awful.
- Joker: You're awful, Murray.
- Franklin: Me? I'm awful? Oh, yeah, how am I awful?
- Joker: Playing my video. Inviting me on the show. You just wanted to make fun of me. You're just like the rest of 'em!
- Franklin: You don't know the first thing about me, pal. Look what happened because of what you did. What it led to. There are riots out there. 2 policemen are in critical condition... [Joker begins to laugh] ...You're laughing. You're laughing. Someone was killed today because of what you did.
- Joker: [giggling] I know. How about another joke?
- Franklin: No, I think we'd had enough of your jokes.
- Joker: What do you get...
- Franklin: I don't think so.
- Joker: ...When you cross...
- Franklin: I think we're done here now, thank you.
- Joker: ...A mentally-ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash?!
- Murray Franklin: Call the police, Gene.
- Joker: I'll tell you what you get!
- Franklin: Call the police.
- Joker: You get what you fucking deserve! [pulls out his gun and shoots Murray in the head, instantly killing him]
|Joaquin Phoenix||Arthur Fleck|
|Robert De Niro||Murray Franklin|
|Zazie Beetz||Sophie Dumond|
|Frances Conroy||Penny Fleck|
|Brett Cullen||Thomas Wayne|
|Shea Whigham||Detective Burke|
|Bill Camp||Detective Garrity|
|Josh Pais||Hoyt Vaughn|
|Rocco Luna||GiGi Dumond|
|Marc Maron||Gene Ufland|
|Sondra James||Dr. Sally|
|Murphy Guyer||Barry O'Donnell|
|Douglas Hodge||Alfred Pennyworth|
|Dante Pereira-Olson||Bruce Wayne|
|Carrie Louise Putrello||Martha Wayne|
|Sharon Washington||Social Worker|
|Hannah Gross||Young Penny|